Careers at Smith, Sullivan & Brown, P.C.
Experienced Audit Senior
Do you hope to engage in high-quality, meaningful work that supports important community organizations? Would you like to find a sense of belonging and grow within a firm? At the end of a productive work day you would like more time for family, loved-ones, hobbies and pursuing other interests? At Smith, Sullivan & Brown all of those goals are not only attainable, but we’ll help you achieve them!
As an Audit Senior with our firm, you will work closely with our team of experienced professionals, serving a variety of local nonprofits. For our clients, the relationship goes beyond compliance and regulations. They rely on us to help them utilize the audit to tell their story, and they look to us for guidance year-round. Not just during the audit. Successful audit seniors have excellent technical proficiency and the ability to communicate complicated ideas in a straightforward way.
SSB offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Our in-office policy is quite flexible and allows for in-house, remote or hybrid work. This is a 40 hour a week position, even during “busy season”, with no mandatory overtime.
An ideal candidate will have at least 3-5 years of public accounting experience, strong communication skills, and a desire to provide exceptional client service. CPA license is encouraged but not required. Candidates interested in pursuing their CPA license may be eligible for reimbursement of exam fees and study materials.
Audit Seniors will gain an understanding of clients’ needs and expectations, accounting and control systems, employees, organization values and industry specific GAAP, Yellow Book, Uniform Guidance and GAAS issues.
- Take a lead role in planning and conducting annual audit, review, and compilation engagements for a variety of nonprofit organizations.
- Perform audit work at all levels and supervise audit staff assigned to your engagements
- Prepare financial statements.
- Perform technical work and develop technical skills
- Maintain a good working relationship with clients, and work with client management and staff to perform audit services
- Assess risks and evaluate the client’s internal control structure.
- Work with the audit team to identify and resolve client issues discovered during the audit process.
- Prepare engagement reports of findings and recommendations.
- Scheduling audits and budgeting
- Work in Caseware engagement software, Excel, Word, Quickbooks
- Familiarity and Review of 990
Desired Soft Skills and Qualities
- Ability to interact with and educate clients at all levels from basic to complex issues
- Personal integrity
- Proactive problem solver
- Open to skill-stretching opportunities
- Confidence working with autonomy
- Ability to develop internal and external relationships